The main objectives of the META-NORD project are:
- ...provide a description of the national landscape in terms of language use; language-savvy products and services, language technologies and resources; main actors; public policies and programmes; prevailing standards and practices; current level of development, main drivers and roadblocks; and create this in a simple, clear, standardized format.
- ...contribute to a pan-European digital resource exchange facility by collecting resources in Baltic and Nordic countries and by documenting, linking and upgrading them to agreed standards and guidelines;
- ...collaborate with other partner projects, in particular CESAR och METANET4U and especially META-NET network of excellence
- ...help build and operate broad, non-commercial, community-driven, inter-connected repositories, exchanges, and facilities that will be used by language researchers, developers and professionals;
- ...mobilize national and regional actors, public bodies and funding agencies by raising awareness, organizing meetings and other focused events. The geographic focus of the META-NORD project are the eight Baltic and Nordic countries. This consortium represents eight under-resourced languages with a specific set of objectives:
- ...provide expertise to other 6.1 pilots in fields where META-NORD partners have outstanding expertise: tree-banks/syntax databases, terminology resources, word-nets and finite-state techniques;
develop and document methodologies for building language resources for under-resourced languages as efficiently as possible, with focus on semi-automatic/machine assisted resource generation;
facilitate availability of BLARK resources for META-NORD languages;
facilitate knowledge transfer between CLARIN och , especially on standards and IPR issues.