About PhD education in Sweden and at our department
This information is intended to provide essential information about the application procedure and the organization of our PhD program to non-Swedish applicants. For this reason the information is given only in English. The corresponding information in Swedish is available elsewhere.
A PhD position is formally a fixed-term (salaried) employment. This means that all PhD positions are announced and applied for in the same way as other employments at the university. There is no other way of entering into the PhD program. Announcements will be posted on the university's job portal and appropriate email lists.
PhD studies are four years full-time. Additionally, a PhD candidate is allowed to do additional non-PhD work in the department (earning the same salary as for the PhD work), such as teaching, project work, or administrative duties, for a maximum of 20 per cent of full-time, which gives a maximal employment time of five years. In addition to this, the employment can be extended because of (officially registered) sick leave or parental leave.
The PhD program consists of coursework and thesis research and writing. The coursework adds up to 60 HEC, with only one compulsory course (Teaching and learning in higher education 1, 5 HEC).
Thesis advisors and PhD candidates in Natural language processing
This information about available thesis advisors and current PhD candidates is provided in case you would like to direct enquiries to the individuals active in our research group. There is no requirement that you contact a thesis advisor in advance, and it will in no way influence the evaluation of your proposal whether you do or not.
Available thesis advisors in Språkbanken:
- Yvonne Adesam <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/yvonne>
- Aleksandrs Berdicevskis <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/sasha>
- Lars Borin <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/lars>
- Gerlof Bouma <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/gerlof>
- Dana Dannélls <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/dana>
- Markus Forsberg <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/markus>
- Dimitrios Kokkinakis <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/dimitrios>
- Peter Ljunglöf <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/peter>
- Jacobo Rouces <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/jrouces>
- Nina Tahmasebi <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/nina>
- Shafqat Mumtaz Virk <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/shafqat-virk>
- Elena Volodina <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/elena>
- Niklas Zechner <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/niklas>
At present, the following PhD candidates are enrolled in our PhD program:
- David Alfter <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/david>
- Stian Rødven Eide <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/stian>
- Anna Lindahl <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staffl/annalindahl>
- Felix Morger <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/en/about/staff/felix>
Program descriptions and requirements
Program description and formal requirements for the PhD program in Natural Language Processing: