Organization of International Workshops
- International workshop on typological profiles of language families of South Asia, Uppsala University, 15-16 September 2016..
- Grammar Data Mining (GDM): Extracting Linguistic Features From Grammatical Descriptions September 5-6, 2019 - Varna, Bulgaria
(ii) Invited Lectures
- Anju Saxena is invited to deliver a plenary lecture at the 32nd South Asian languages analysis roundtable SALA-32 with a title "Indo-Aryan in typological and areal perspective". Venue: Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal. 27-29 April 2016.
- Anju Saxena is invited to deliver a keynote lecture at the International Workshop on Munda Linguistics with a title "Critical evluation of the Munda influence on Himalayan languages". Venue: Deccan College, India. 15-16 March, 2017
- Anju Saxena. South Asia as a linguistic area? Exploring big-data methods in areal and genetic linguistics – A project presentation. Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel. 19 April 2018
- Saxena, Anju (ed.) Typological profiles of language families of South Asia. Special theme issue. Journal of South Asian languages and linguistics 4.1. De gruyter Mouton. Spring 2017
(iv) Conference Presentations
- Lars Borin, Anju Saxena, Taraka Rama and Bernard Comrie: Linguistic landscaping of South Asia using digital language resources: Genetic vs. areal linguistics. LREC 2014.
- Anju Saxena, Lars Borin, Taraka Rama and Bernard Comrie: The Indian Himalayas – a micro-area? Results of a quantitative study. International workshop on linguistic microareas in South Asia. Uppsala University. 5–6 May 2014.
- Borin, Lars; Shafqat Mumtaz Virk and Anju Saxena. Towards a Big Data View on South Asian Linguistic Diversity. 3rd Workshop on Indian Language Data Resource and Evaluation. LREC 2016. Slovenia. 24 May 2016.
- Anju Saxena and Lars Borin. Indo-Aryan within an Areal Perspective. International workshop on typological profile of language families of South Asia. Uppsala University. 2016.
- Lars Borin, Shafqat Mumtaz Virk and Anju Saxena. Exploring Big-Data Methods for Large-Scale Comparative Linguistic Research. The Sixth Swedish Language Technology Conference (SLTC) Umeå University, 17-18 November, 2016.
- Lars Borin, Shafqat Mumtaz Virk and Anju Saxena. Language Technology for Digital Linguistics: Turning the Linguistic Survey of India Into a Rich Source of Linguistic Information, 18th International Conference on Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing (CICLing), April 17 to 23, 2017, Budapest, Hungary.
- Shafqat Mumtaz Virk, Lars Borin, Anju Saxena and Harald Hammarström, Automatic Extraction of Typological Linguistic Features from Descriptive Grammars, 20th International Conference on Text, Speech and Dialogue (TSD) Aug 27, 2017 - Aug 31, 2017 Prague
- Harald Hammarström, Shafqat Virk and Markus Forsberg, Poor Man’s OCR Post-Correction: Unsupervised Recognition of Variant Spelling Applied to a Multilingual Document Collection DATeCH International Conference and the Digitisation Days, 1-2 June 2017, Göttingen Germany.
- Shafqat Mumtaz Virk, and K.V.S. Prasad. Towards Hindi/Urdu FrameNets via the Multilingual FrameNet, The International FrameNet Workshop 2018: Multilingual FrameNets and Constructi- cons, collocated with LREC, in Miyazaki, Japan, 2018.
- LingFN: A Framenet for the Linguistic Domain Shafqat Mumtaz Virk, Per Malm, Lars Borin, Anju Saxena, 19th International Conference on Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing (CICLing), April 7 to 13, 2019, La Rochelle, France.
- Anna Sjöberg and Anju Saxena. The use of the copula in non-copula constructions of South Asia. SLE 2019. 52nd annual meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea. Leipzig University. 21-24 August 2019
- Anna Sjöberg and Anju Saxena. The use of the copula in non-copula constructions in the languages of South Asia. ALT19. The 13rd conference of the Association for Linguistic Typology. University of Pavia. 4-6 September 2019
- Lars Borin, Anju Saxena, Bernard Comrie, Shafqat Mumtz Virk. South Asian linguistic relationships seen through the LSI. Workshop on South Asia as a “Sprachbund”? Advances in the study of language contact in South Asia. SALA-35. South Asian languages analysis round table. INALCO-Paris. 29-31 October 2019
- Shafqat Mumtaz Virk, Azam Sheikh Muhammad, Lars Borin, Muhammad Irfan Aslam, Saania Iqbal, and Nazia Khurram, Exploiting Frame Semantics and Frame-Semantic Parsing for Auto- matic Extraction of Typological Information from Descriptive Grammars of Natural Languages, Proceedings of the Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing (RANLP), 2-6 September 2019, Varna Bulgaria.
(v) Project Meetings and Collaborative Activities
- September 2015: Iceland University. Participants: Lars Borin, Anju Saxena, Bernard Comrie, Peter Austin, Audur Hauksdottir
- January 2016: Uppsala University. Participants: Lars Borin, Anju Saxena, Shafqat Mumtaz Virk
- May 2016: Iceland University. Participants: Lars Borin, Anju Saxena, Bernard Comrie, Peter Austin, Audur Hauksdottir
- September 2016: Uppsala University and University of Gothenburg. Participants: Lars Borin, Bernard Comrie, Scott DeLancey, Colette Grinevald, Anju Saxena, Shafqat Mumtaz Virk
- April 2017. Iceland University. Participants: Lars Borin, Bernard Comrie, Anju Saxena. Theme: questionnaire for the second round
- In addition, GU/UU members have project meetings once every week/fortnight.
- The project has been contacted by Thórhallur Eythórsson (University of Iceland) for collaboration. Meetings: September 2015, May 2016. This has resulted in student funding for three years with Thórhallur Eythórsson as the Project leader.
(vi) Master Thesis
- Anna Sjöberg. The use of the copula in non-copula constructions in the languages of South Asia. Uppsala University. 2018
- Muhammad Irfan, Semantic Frame Based Automatic Extraction of Typological Information from Descriptive Grammars, Institutionen f ̈or kommunikation och information Examensarbete i datavetenskap, Högskolan i Skövde. May 2019.
Daniel Foster, Automatic Frame-Semantic Parsing for Linguistic Descriptions:Extracting typological linguistic information from unstructured text, MS Thesis, Department of Swedish, University of Gothenburg, September, 2019.
(vii) Other Presentations
- Shafqat Mumtaz Virk, Lars Borin, and Anju Sexena: South Asia as a Linguistic Area? Exploring Big-Data Methods in Areal and Genetic Linguistics, Culturomics Partner Meeting, 2016-04-21, Språkbanken, Gothenburg.
- Lars Borin, Shafqat Mumtaz Virk, Anju Saxena, South Asia as a linguistic area? Exploring big-data methods in areal and genetic linguistics, Språkbanken Kick-off Meeting, 2016-08-25, Gothenburg.
- Shafqat Mumtaz Virk, Lars Borin, and Anju Sexena: Linguistic information extraction and visualization: Some preliminary results from the LSI, Culturomics Partner Meeting, 2016-11-24, Chalmers University, Gothenburg.
- Building linguistic maps for South Asian languages. Wogel seminar. Department of Linguistics and Philology, Uppsala University. 16 March 2018
- LingFN: Towards a FrameNet for the Linguistics Domain, GIFT University, Punjab Pakistan, 2019-01-05.
- LingFN: a FrameNet for the Linguistics Domain, CLT-Retreat 2019-05-08.