As a sub-project in the project "Development of lexical and grammatical competences in immigrant Swedish" (L2P) <https://spraakbanken.gu.se/eng/l2-profiles> we are testing intuitions that people have about the relative difficulty of words and word combinations. We would like to explore whether language learners' intuitions correspond to teachers' judgments. Therefore, we ask our participants to compare groups of four words, and select the easiest and the most difficult words out of the four alternatives. There is no right or wrong answer. More detailed information is available in our guidelines (Swedish only).
To understand better whether/how the intuitions and judgments are influenced by the (linguistic) background, we are collecting some information about our informants in a separate form (personal metadata), and ask for consent to participate in the experiment.
You can choose to complete just a few or many minitasks (i.e. items of four words). Those who complete 240 minitasks (approx. 1,5 hours work) will get a small gift as a thank-you from us.
We would like to invite you to participate in the experiment.
- Link to the consent form. NB! Select Svenska when you are on the Consent form page, in case it is set to English !
- Please consult the guidelines before you start.
Responsible researchers and universities
- University of Gothenburg, Sweden: Elena Volodina (elena . volodina @ svenska . gu . se)
- Helsingfors university, Finland: Therese Lindström Tiedemann (therese . lindstromtiedemann @ helsinki . fi)
- Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium: David Alfter (david . alfter @ uclouvain . be)