Computational SLA* (CompSLA for short) is an initiative for organizing a series of Shared Tasks with reference to second language (L2) learning. Its aim is to encourage languages that do not have extensive collections of annotated learner data to take a step towards sharing that data with wider community and stimulating research around it.
The initiative was taken during a NLP4CALL workshop in 2021 (see slides).
*SLA = Second Language Acquisition
First CompSLA task
Currently, a group of researchers representing L2 datasets for Czech, English, German, Italian and Swedish are working on the preparation of the first shared task.
The intended venue is NLP4CALL-2023, co-located with the Nodalida conference in Faeroe Islands.
- 09 December 2022 - first call for participation. Training data released, CodaLab opens for team registrations.
- 08 January 2023 - validation server released online
- 14 February 2023 - test data released
- 21 February 2023 - system submission deadline (system output, models, code, fact sheets, extra data, etc)
- 28 February 2023 - results announced
- 28 March 2023 - paper submission deadline (system descriptions)
- 14 April 2023 - paper reviews sent to the authors
- 05 May 2023 - camera-ready deadline
- 22(-24) May 2023 - presentations of the systems at workshop NLP4CALL
Task definition (preliminary)
Multi-Class Grammatical Error Detection (MuClaGED)
Details to follow
Targeted languages and datasets
- L2 Czech data (CzeSL)
- L2 English data (REALEC)
- L2 English data (FCE)
- L2 German data (Merlin)
- L2 Italian data (Merlin)
- L2 Swedish data (SweLL)
- Elena Volodina, Sweden/University of Gothenburg (main organizer)
- Cris Bryant, Great Britain/Reverso & University of Cambridge
- Andew Caines, Great Britain/University of Cambridge
- Orphee DeClerq, Belgium/Gent university
- Jennifer Carmen Frey, Italy/EURAC
- Elizaveta Ershova, Cyprus/JetBrains
- Alexandr Rosen, Czech Republic/Charles university
- Olga Vinogradova, Israel (previously Russia/High School of Economics)
Contact: Elena Volodina < elena . volodina @ svenska . gu . se >