SweLL - research infrastructure for Swedish as a second language, RJ, 2017-2019
With growing number of people seeking asylum in Sweden, the need for second language (L2) teaching and the evolvement of such a practice is of great importance to the Swedish society. The government has recently initiated a project on learning among newly arrived. One of the foci of this project is on producing tools for evaluation of L2 Swedish, an aim to which the SweLL project contributes in a most robust way.
The purpose of SweLL is to set up an infrastructure for collection, digitization, normalization, and annotation of learner production, as well as to make available a linguistically annotated corpus of approx. 600 L2 learner texts. Such a corpus would make it possible to search for various types of linguistic structures, without the researcher having to guess what such a structure might look like, since there is a parallel normalized version available. L2 corpora are available for many other languages, but for Swedish such a resource is lacking.
To fill the needs of the L2 research field, SweLL will create an infrastructure consisting of:
- a data collection portal, through file import and via online exercises
- methods and tools for L2 analysis
- an annotated corpus of L2 production
- specific search tools for L2-material facilitating filtering for e.g. texts written by male writers or writers at a certain proficiency level.
The material and tools will be made accessible for research.
Project leader: Elena Volodina, Språkbanken, University of Gothenburg
Four universities participate in the project:
The project is financed by Riksbankens Jubileumsfond during years 2017-2019 through a grant IN16-0464:1
Co-financing comes from University of Gothenburg, Department of Swedish, as a contribution to development of university infrastructure activities
- "Crowdsourcing Second Language learner data: experiences and prospects" - Presentation at a meeting of a European Network of e-Lexicography, February 2017, Budapest, Hungary. [slides]
- "SweLL - forskningsinfrastruktur för svenska som andraspåk" - Presentation at Swedish Language Council (Språkrådet), February 2017, Stockholm, Sweden. [slides]
- "A Friend in Need? Research agenda for electronic Second Language infrastructure" - Presentation at SLTC, november 2016, Umeå, Sweden. [slides]
- Elena Volodina, Beata Megyesi, Mats Wirén, Lena Granstedt, Julia Prentice, Monica Reichenberg, Gunlög Sundberg. 2016. A Friend in Need? Research agenda for electronic Second Language infrastructure. Proceedings of SLTC 2016, Umeå, Sweden [pdf]